Vanessa Villa is a Chicago photographer who started her artistic journey at age 14. From a young age she became her parents English-speaking voice in a country that does not speak her native tongue. She wishes to continue inspiring and being a strong voice for others, especially millennials, through her photography.
Article by Alejandra Lopez
More photography by Vanessa Villa? Check Here!
- bs–it stands for BULLSHIT. it is said when someone tells a lie. it is used when someone says something to suck-up. It is said when you literally see bull poo. A term used when you have to speak or write for a certain length and you have nothing better to say.
- Chuck E. Cheese Atrocious children themed restaurant where birthday parties are held featuring cardboard pizza, broken slime covered arcade machines and playland, creepy animitronic “band”, and a disinterested teenager in a mouse suit. Formerly known as Showbiz Pizza, established by Nolan Bushnell, the dude who started Atari. Let’s go to Chuck E. Cheese’s and score a few thousand tickets on the skeeball machine and get a 15 year old black & white TV.
- petty When someone takes a small subject and blows it out of proportion. At times, making something otherwise insignificant into something bigger to suit their own agenda. Daisy: Man, that girl is so petty. She can really make a mountain out of a mole hill.
- crib home, domicile, or dwelling. Dang du…your CRIB is phat YO! (Your house is very pleasing to the eye; Contemporary flare, yet structurally sound. May I have a look around my good man?)
- The Brown Berets (Los Boinas Cafes) are a pro-Chicano organization that emerged during the Chicano Movement in the late 1960s and remains active to the present day. The group was seen as part of the Third Movement for Liberation. The Brown Berets’ movements largely revolved around farm worker’s struggles, educational reform, and anti-war activism; they have also organized against police brutality. Several groups have been quite active since the passage of California Proposition 187.
- ballsy Adjective for someone willing to take risks, or displays how manly or unafraid of authority and/or getting caught a person is. Also to describe the act of something dangerous or forbidden. “You snorted cocaine in your junior high girl’s bathroom!? That was ballsy!”